Thursday, July 19, 2007

Monday, July 09: New battery and visit to Stanford

[Tynor] Today we went to see mom’s old college, Stanford. They have a big campus. We went up into a big bell tower and the biggest bell weighed 5000 pounds!











After we got back, I played Guitar Hero. It’s not the easiest! Rafy is REALLY good! He is amazingly fast. I’m still only on medium.









[Stacia] For a day off, we sure did a lot today! Sigh. We slept in a bit (until 8:30 or so) following our late night arrival and all the walking around Gilroy Gardens yesterday. Then it was time to embark on errands – oh, joy (not). Reminded me immediately why I try to run errands alone or with only one kid in tow. No fun for anyone when I’m dragging kids through stores. But sometimes, you gotta do these things.
First up was getting the popup battery checked. I’m sure we mentioned earlier that we had no battery power at our first campground (no hookups) after Nehalem Bay. We arrived at dusk, tried to switch on the popup lights and - nada. Scrambled around and found a few flashlights, but wasn’t exactly what we envisioned with the fancy digs we’ve been pulling all these miles. (Ok, it’s still worth it to be able to open up a “house” complete with sleeping OFF the ground, but…)

So the battery apparently was charged up (we(webut wasn’t functioning (I didn’t know batteries could do that). Time for a new battery – but naturally, the place we were at didn’t carry deep cycle batteries. So off down El Camino in search of a Napa Auto store, crossing our fingers they’d have one – and they did! Plus they have a AAA discount – score! :-) I signed up for AAA just before the trip, for the peace of mind, and enjoyed receiving a big packet of detailed travel info and maps before we left, and now find out that I can get discounts some places as well. A welcome perk.

With the battery problem out of the way (we hoped), it was off to Sears and Mervyns in search of shorts for all the boys – none of them had enough for all the hot weather we’ve been having, especially since we won’t have any laundry facilities for a week after leaving our gracious hosts here in the Bay Area. Last, a visit to Trader Joe’s. Yay for TJ’s – great to be able to stock up on the “usual” stuff that we get at home. We got salads to have for lunch as well, and Niall surprised me by trying gnocchi with creamy artichoke dip which they were offering as samples. He loved it – go figure! Maybe his tastes are beginning to expand a bit (let’s hold a good thought :-). He made me promise to buy gnocchi and the dip when we get home so he can have more. Surely my dear, will do.
After lunch back at Grace’s, we drove over to Stanford (which takes about 2 minutes from her house), parked by Tressider (student union)and embarked on our tour of campus. The boys were delighted to find a fountain to splash in (The Claw, in front of the bookstore), and then we headed down to the Quad and Mem Chu (Memorial Church).







They were impressed by the myriad stained glass windows in the church, and even more so by the immense pipes of the organ at the back of the church.

Outside again, we walked along the arches of the quad until we came to the plaque for the time capsule installed the year I graduated, 1983 (also found Tynor’s grandmother’s year – 1958). (Ok, technically I graduated in 1985, but I consider 1983 to be my alumni year. :-)



As we wandered further along, the boys spotted Hoo Tow (Hoover Tower) and wanted to go up. I had never been up there, in all the years I was at Stanford and the times I’ve gone back to visit, so it sounded like a champion idea to me. Turns out there’s a small entrance fee, and then student docents take you up the elevator and tell you about the tower and the institution. A docent is also at the top to answer questions. The docents were the nicest people – telling us all about the bells in the tower, pointing out landmarks when I couldn’t quite figure out where things were with all the new buildings around, and chatting with the boys about various topics.

We spent a half hour or so enjoying the view and checking out all the bells, ranging from tiny to HUGE! Cory was worried the bells were going to peal while we were right there (he’s not fond of loud noises), but the docent assured us that they’re only played by one specific professor after tour hours are over. Apparently people who get married in Mem Chu can also request a special bell performance too (for a fee). Then back on the main floor, the kids wanted to explore the two wings, one for Hoover and one for his wife. We all learned more about the Hoovers than we probably needed to know ;-) and I was a little surprised the boys were interested. Of course, Cory and Niall were also enchanted by the huge draperies at either end and wanted to chase each other through them. Time to leave!

We found another fountain on our way back along the quad toward the Bookstore and splashed about for quite awhile before continuing on.

The Bookstore was crowded and we were getting tired and hungry, so we didn’t stay there long but picked up postcards and a few souvenirs and then straggled back to the car to head back to Grace’s. Cory was amazed by this local university denizen. Not too many folks with spiky mohawks in Woodinville. :-)

On the way back to Grace's house, we swung by a couple of the places I lived on campus, including Branner Hall, my freshman dorm. One of the docents at Hoover Tower told me that Branner has been completely renovated inside, but I didn't stop and get everyone out to take a look. (Maybe next year at my reunion?)




Some other photos from our campus tour:


We enjoyed another delicious BBQ that evening, eating outside on a covered patio between the house and cottage – very pleasant. Afterwards, Tynor disappeared with Rafy to play Guitar Hero and get a well-earned break for hanging out with little people, and the little people watched a little TV so Mom could get a much-needed break too. I wrote a quick blog post about our trip to the dragon park before running out of steam and needing to get C & N ready for bed. Bathtime for both of them! Their last tub-time until we’re back home again.

Grace was a huge help, running loads of laundry for me and helping with errands. Great to have another adult to assist! Though Tynor has been doing a super job pitching in with everything on this trip. He’s really made it possible for us to make this journey – I could never have managed it all on my own, without his help with all the popup setup/take down, help with the kids, campfire starting, and much more. Kudos to Tynor for being such a great companion and helper! :-)

While I put the kids to bed and sorted out the car chaos, prepping for heading out in the morning, Tynor went with Grace and her kids and a few friends to get ice cream and have some more hang-time with the big folks. Later when C & N were asleep, Grace and I had time to visit and catch up a bit. Stayed up way too late! But worth it. :-) I wish I could have seen more Bay Area folks on this trip, but it was just about all I could do to keep it together with what we managed to do. There will be more visits, and not so many years inbetween next time. I’ll look forward to catching up with everyone else next time around.

No comments: